Monday, November 30, 2009

This Woman's Work

Acrylic On Canvas
h: 48 x w: 36 in
$900.00 + Shipping

This is the first painting in a new two part series about gender. For me gender has always been a complex issue. As a teenager with a flair for the theatrical I was often assumed to be gay. I grew up in a small all-american town but I always had a very metropolitan manner about me. Although I am and always was heterosexual I was perceived by most to be in the least bi. As a result of this contradiction I became fascinated by how intentions and perceptions often collide in difficult and complex ways. This particular piece deals with the branding of feminine archetypes in contemporary American culture and how these social constraints impact and frame the issue of identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment