Monday, November 30, 2009

Stuck Inside of Mobile with The Memphis Blues Again

Acrylic On Canvas
h: 48 x w: 72 in
$2000.00 + Shipping

This is a new two part series about gender. For me gender has always been a complex issue. As a teenager with a flair for the theatrical I was often assumed to be gay. I grew up in a small all-american town but I always had a very metropolitan manner about me. Although I am and always was heterosexual I was perceived by most to be in the least bi. As a result of this contradiction I became fascinated by how intentions and perceptions often collide in difficult and complex ways. This particular piece deals with the branding of masculine & feminine archetypes in contemporary American culture and how these social constraints impact and frame the issue of identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment