Tuesday, December 8, 2009

All That Glitters Is Gone But The Memories are Gold



Site Specific Ephemeral Installation
Mixed Media on Wall
Various Dimensions
NFS

This is my first installation piece. With it my goal was to explore a moment in my personal autobiography. A few years ago my Grammy, whom I was very close to, passed away. The previous October the whole family came into town to celebrate her 80th birthday. It was, I believe, probably the happiest day of her life. Family meant everything to her and she loved being surrounded by all her loved ones. We celebrated her birthday by giving her a gold charm bracelet and a charm from each family member, which in a large Irish Catholic family like mine really adds up to a lot of charms. My Grammy always loved gold and you could always hear her coming by the sound of her gold bracelets jangling. By the following October many family members would not be speaking to each other and it would be a year or two more before the scars would even begin to heal. However, I choose not to focus on what happened after her passing but instead focus on the memories of spending time with her and the joy she brought me.

1 comment:

  1. I love the installation and while reading your essay I was really moved so thank you for doing this piece...I realize it was your feeling being expressed but it warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete